Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Coming Together of It All

I still remember the lecture from the first day of class and the time line of notes we took that gave us a background to our historical figures, who we first became familiar with through hours of reading in Norton. But through the family tree it all makes sense.

Not necessarily the putting together of the family tree (or sky), but just the research and figuring out who fits with who really gave insight into the class as a whole. As I got deeper into my research, I was able to pin-point exactly when I came upon a major figure. I actually knew who these people were! Not only that, but I felt connected to these people and the field in a way that I have never felt before. It is amazing to see the connection between all these people, and actually find a trail that leads to me. To all the teachers, you are actually a part of the knowledge, because you are inspiring and influencing your students with your own knowledge that actually links back to Aristotle. Doesn't that make you feel smarter? It certainly makes me feel closer to this vast library of knowledge.

But I actually think this project started at the beginning of class, and has been continuing throughout the semester. I am refering back to the lecture, and talking about the presentations that could have been even more helpful for this project, had I been thinking about it at the time. The lecture gave us the link to Aristotle, but the presentations allowed us to gain knowledge on these people who have all inspired us in some way and all who have been inspired by "rock stars" before them. During my research I was able to connect a lot of the people we discussed in class together, which I thought was an important task because it directly related to the class.

I know a lot of our research was not put on the final project, but we just didn't have the time or space to include everything. A good project for the years to come would be to expand on the starts and make the connections between the ones we have already placed. I would like to see the tree expand, and I think it would be a valuable asset to the entire field. Great job everyone! Now, how about those papers...

No comments:

Post a Comment