Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Page 216: from Pre-Writing: The Construction and Application of Models for Concept Formation in Writing

"It is just possible that much writing instruction fails because it is conceived within what Bruner calls the 'expository mode,' and the student-writer, as a result, never is given the chance to participate in the essentials of the process which he is being called upon to master" (217).

I understand that there needs to be order and classroom management when dealing with students, who may or may not be interested in learning. But, I believe that students need to take an active role in their learning. Gordon Rohman and Albert Wlecke use Jerome Bruner in his essay "The Art of Discovery" to emphasis this point in the quote above. They continue on to say that the student sacrifices their own creativity and abilities in order to please the teacher. Where in this process are they able to show what they are capable of when they are correcting their work and honing their skills based on what the teacher thinks is important?



When rethinking my pedagogy statement the most important aspect I intend to include is the voice of the student. In my classroom I would like the students to lead (I know what your thinking... clearly, I have never taught before). But what I hope is that we as a class can work toward them leading and discovering knowledge for themselves, with my role being the facilitator and making sure we stay on some sort of task. The image I have is similar to that of a graduate classroom. I know, I know, the struggle is to motivate the students to get to this point, but I have some time to work out strategies.

On a side note, I think the students have to know the basics before they can truly play with their form and freely write what they want to. Grammar is essential for all writers and will definitely be a priority in my classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Autumn I'm thinking of the different approach to teaching a composition class and a creative writing class. The latter pre-supposes mastery of mechanics but as I recall, you were surprised at the lack of skill in creative writing classes. Here are students who supposedly enjoy writing and strive to improve their creative skills yet lack basic mechanics. These students I would consider "motivated". If they weren't "motivated" to learn the basics because they saw value in their own writing, how does a teacher overcome prejudice toward writing in students who don't see value in their writing? As we examine our own pedagogy, there are often more questions than answers. Perhaps the one glimmer of hope is that young teachers will continue to bring their enthusiasm and imagination into the classroom to diminish the "stale perspective" they will encounter within their own English Department.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is a complicated because it is so much more than writing. It is a window to the soul and a vehicle to effect change in others. It is a very powerful medium affecting the development of culture, society and personal relations. Writing has no one a to be taught successfully because it is an individual experience.

    ReplyDelete