Monday, September 7, 2009

History Repeats Itself... maybe

The thing I found interesting about this reading as well as the last reading is how their ways are similar to our own. Yes, there are clear differences but it is clear that some culture has maintained from these previous time periods.

For example the lessons required for rhetoric students in the Roman era are the same lessons I went throught for my undergraduate classes. There is a lot of emphasis put on the way teachers were suppose to teacher rhetoric and different styles and Diodorus argues that speech (logos) is what made people superior to others (Conley 31-32). I can't help but to think that I would be considered inferior for my lack of practice as an orator.

This made me wonder why throughout my education why I only had one communication class. Are we expected now to learn speech as a lesser form of writing? And why does it play such an insignificant role in schools? Now, after my undergraduate education I am looking at the the other side of the education process: how teachers are being taught to teach students and where rhetoric is suppose to take place. Cicero argued that students should be taught rhetoric instead of relying on natural talent. Now it seems that we are more reliant on our own speech skills to lead us through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment